AUSTRALIA BUS PHOTO GALLERY

Images of Ballarat Tramway Museum

Australia
Ballarat Tramway Museum
Page 1

The Ballarat Tramway Company's first tramcar was powered by horses. It was built in 1887 by Duncan and Fraser. After the line was taken over by the Electric Supply Company of Victoria it was one of eight cars which ran as trailers behind electric trams at busy times. Finally withdrawn in the late twenties when the bodyshell became a residential outbuilding, until saved for preservation in 1985. The body has been fully reconstructed to its original condition and a modified Melbourne cable car truck forms the undercarriage. The car was seen in the museum depot in October 2012.
 

As the livery suggests this is a Melbourne car. Built as track maintenance tram 8 in 1934 it was donated to the Ballarat Tram Museum in 1999, not long after withdrawal in Melbourne.
 

Built Sydney in 1915 as Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust 75 the by the Meadowbank car kept the number when taken into Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board fleet in 1920 as Class J tram. The tram later ran in Geelong numbered 29 and arrived in Ballarat in 1936 where it became number 14. The tram was the last car to be overhauled and the last to run under its own powerwith Ballarat City Council.
 

Another tram that started its life in Melbourne is this 1916 Duncan and Fraser car built as Hawthorn Tramways 5. It was numbered 111 in Class M by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board when taken over in 1920. It arrived in Ballarat in 1931 where it became car 26.
 

Car 27 has an identical history to 26 as Hawthorn 10 and MMTB M Class 116.
 
Australia
Ballarat Tramway Museum
Page 1


3DFlags.com 3D Animated Flags Courtesy of 3DFlags.com